Configuring Mozilla Thunderbird (recommended)
- Create a new mail account by clicking File -> New -> Existing Mail Account.
- Type your name, email address in the form firstname.lastname@example.org and your email password.
- Click Continue. Thunderbird will test the settings.
- Click Create Account.
IAS Address Book (optional)
Follow these directions to set up LDAP lookups for IAS addresses.
Server Details (for experienced users)
For users who are familiar with configuring email clients, please use the following settings:
- Server: imap.sns.ias.edu
- Port: 993
- Use secure connection (SSL)
- IMAP Server Directory: mail/
- Server: smtpauth.ias.edu
- Port: 587
- Use secure connection (STARTTLS)
- Use authentication: send user name and password
- Please note that if you travel away from IAS, you may need to set the SMTP server to a local mail server at the site you are visiting.
- Note that you will have two inboxes - one is on the local disk, and the other one appears under email@example.com. The latter is really stored on the mail server, and will be visible to your from any computer on which you set IMAP as described above. All your work should be done on folders under imap.sns.ias.edu. Local Folders should be deleted or ignored.